US election update: clarity, but not certainty
- With results continuing to trickle in as initial vote counts conclude, multiple news agencies declared Pennsylvania for Biden over the weekend, taking him over the 270 votes needed for an electoral college vote majority.
- President Trump has refused to concede defeat, pursuing recounts and legal challenges. The former appears unlikely to change the outcome, but the process of the legal challenges is more uncertain.
- The House appears on track for a Democrat majority.
- But the Senate is more uncertain and looks unlikely to be certain until early January. We expect a Republican majority in the Senate.
- A new President facing a divided Congress has not been seen in over 20 years.
- This will likely result in policy gridlock, blocking plans for fiscal stimulus in the short and medium-term and requiring more protracted monetary policy support.
- Yet President-elect Biden looks set to pursue a more multilateral approach on health, with the WHO, trade, with the WTO, and climate, with the Paris accord.
This document is for informational purposes only and does not constitute investment research or financial analysis relating to transactions in financial instruments as per MIF Directive (2014/65/EU), nor does it constitute on the part of AXA Investment Managers or its affiliated companies an offer to buy or sell any investments, products or services, and should not be considered as solicitation or investment, legal or tax advice, a recommendation for an investment strategy or a personalized recommendation to buy or sell securities.
It has been established on the basis of data, projections, forecasts, anticipations and hypothesis which are subjective. Its analysis and conclusions are the expression of an opinion, based on available data at a specific date. All information in this document is established on data made public by official providers of economic and market statistics. AXA Investment Managers disclaims any and all liability relating to a decision based on or for reliance on this document. All exhibits included in this document, unless stated otherwise, are as of the publication date of this document. Furthermore, due to the subjective nature of these opinions and analysis, these data, projections, forecasts, anticipations, hypothesis, etc. are not necessary used or followed by AXA IM’s portfolio management teams or its affiliates, who may act based on their own opinions. Any reproduction of this information, in whole or in part is, unless otherwise authorised by AXA IM, prohibited.
This document has been edited by AXA INVESTMENT MANAGERS SA, a company incorporated under the laws of France, having its registered office located at Tour Majunga, 6 place de la Pyramide, 92800 Puteaux, registered with the Nanterre Trade and Companies Register under number 393 051 826. In other jurisdictions, this document is issued by AXA Investment Managers SA’s affiliates in those countries.
In the UK, this document is intended exclusively for professional investors, as defined in Annex II to the Markets in Financial Instruments Directive 2014/65/EU (“MiFID”). Circulation must be restricted accordingly.
© AXA Investment Managers 2020. All rights reserved